Tuesday 19 January 2010

Gap Year Article

Once my gap year started coming to a close, I decided to try and convince as many people as possible to take one too, much to the dismay of their parents who want them to go straight to university - I tried to tell them otherwise. So I wrote this, and it got published in the school I worked at's weekly newspaper.



GAP year article

I wrote this to inspire people at Canford to take gap years, and to share my experience*

G.A.P – Gigantic All-year Party. OR MORE?
“A Canford Gappie’s guide to having an unforgettable gap year-“

Gap Year: The glorious period of freedom to embark on adventures and journeys of self-discovery, before you hit the books.

How to FILL the gap with the best moments of your life!

Away from home and your comfort zone

No, it doesn’t count as a gap year if you stay at home every day for a year playing Wii Sports and sleeping off hangovers. You won’t learn anything from staying in the same place with the same people. So first and foremost, if you have the opportunity to – Get as far away from home as possible. Packing that bag and getting on that plane is the first step to adventure. Like Canford has done for me – each new place and the people in it are sure to make you feel right at home, and will help you to adapt to new comfort zones.

Top of the packing list

You know that question that is always asked at some point; ‘If you knew you were going to be stuck on an island, what one item would you take with you?’… The answer? A camera. Photographs and memories go hand in hand, so get hold of a decent camera, don’t be lazy, and capture the memories you want to make.

Mom and Home

No matter how close you are to her or not, at some point you will miss her and get homesick. And she will miss you. You will miss each other. Fact. But this is when you download Skype, keep your chin up and find something to distract you from the thought of Sunday roast dinners and Mom’s special gravy. There is no place like home, but just remember that it’s not going anywhere – it’s always there for you to go back to.

Get a job

Even if it is only for a while to save up for whatever you want to do, having a job and earning your own money is honestly a really rewarding experience. You learn a lot of interesting things from any job you have too. No really, they may not be vital things to know, but for example; I have learnt how to ride a bike in temperatures one should never have to ride a bike in (and I didn’t fall in the river once!), I’ve learnt how to pour a decent pint (oh and I also recently mastered how to pour two at once, without looking!), I have learnt how to control 13 year old girls (more challenging than it sounds) and of course, I have learnt how a photocopying machine works. (Many thanks to Julie and Wendy for their patience, they are very complicating machines.)

Budget

Oh yes, if I have actually experienced anything this year that my parents have been telling me all my life, is that money certainly doesn’t grow on trees (and getting cash back does not mean free money). I will admit that I spent half a day drawing up a concise, well planned monthly budget with all inclusive sub-headings; savings, spending and necessities needed. I then pinned it up on my new bedroom wall and gave myself a good pat on the back. Good job Robynne, lovely. Now all you have to do? Stick to it.
Erm… It’s really hard! But I’d say try to have at least a rough draft to stick to – it might become rougher in time (I scribbled and scratched and fixed every time I came back from a weekend in London) but it is better than nothing.

Drinking and Parties

I’m not going to try and avoid this, so straight to the point. In an endless supply of clubbing, birthdays, pub crawls, dress-up do’s and bonfinres = your gap year will undoubtedly be filled with fun and very blurry nights (www.glm.uk.com), and even blurry days (www.thechurch.co.uk). You will learn how to test the limits of your liver like you never have before, but I advise knowing the limits too. Have fun, dance all your nights away, and just be responsible. Easy.

Gap Fat

I promised myself at the beginning of the year that I would leave looking just the same as I did when I arrived… Well basically, no. I do go to the gym as often as I can, (really I do) but a different lifestyle means different eating habits, and I learnt to accept that the gap fat would find me at some point. This is fine; just keep an eye on being healthy. Without mom there – you have to remind yourself that vegetables are good for you, and that burger king, subway and pizza hut are unfortunately not one of your five a days.

Travel with Topdeck / Contiki

If you are going to save up for anything big on your gap year – save up for any sort of Topdeck Tour. This has been the biggest highlight of my year for sure. I had the opportunity to experience travelling Europe and setting foot in 9 different countries in just under a month, and every single country came out tops. Not only did I end my summer holidays with loads of memories, but I also went on the tour alone – which meant I began it not knowing anyone, and left with 45 new friends (aw!) Topdeck gets 2 thumbs up, 4 if I could. Do it!

England and Europe



On the topic of travel, and I know I said earlier to try get away from home, you still have to remember that even though South East Asia or the States sound immense, don’t ignore the fact that you have an entire continent on your doorstep! Don’t take advantage of it. Also, England is a pretty cool place too – when was the last time you travelled your own country? Once you have seen it, then you can treat yourself by going somewhere where ‘nice weather’ doesn’t just mean that you don’t have to wear a jumper that day. Somewhere where you don’t have to see your rain coats and millions of layers for at least 7 months in a row… cough South Africa cough… You all know you want to.

FINALLY

So, the big answer? Yes, my year has been a pretty ‘gigantic’ party. But more? Most definitely. The striking destinations are extraordinary, but along with them you get the chance to experience real life. No matter what you get up to, you will end your year a much more mature and open-minded person than you were when you started, and if you’re anything like me – a complete travel addict (much to Mum’s dismay, I have already started planning my next destination).

I think that school and university only teach a fraction of life’s necessities. Your gap year will allow you to challenge yourself in so many new areas of life; job interviews, travelling alone, meeting new people… I have had lessons in independence that have truly prepared me well for life ahead. I have had conversations and discussions with people that no lesson in school could ever have taught me. When you’re put in that position, you’re forced to take charge of your own life, and you really learn about what you’re capable of.



I am now nearing the end of my year with a certainty of what I want to complete in life that I didn’t have at the beginning of the year. I have made countless new friends from all over the world, and because of this year I feel so prepared for university, with a big new passion for learning new things, and an even bigger drive to want to see the world.

So before you let anyone tell you that gap years are futile or just an excuse to get out of working, I can promise you all now that if you do it right – a gap year will be one of the best decisions you will ever make. I know that right down to the very last photocopy of a Canford School’s physics exam – there is not one thing I regret about going gap!

Convinced yet?



No comments:

Post a Comment