Tuesday 2 November 2010

I remember

As I was sitting in my room the other day, temporarily minding my own business with Season 8 of Friends on in the back ground – I realised it was a mate’s 20th birthday coming up. Having realised that, my own age jumped out at me too. Twenty. Two decades. Well, shit that went fast. So I subconsciously skimmed over my life and as two decades flashed past, I had an urge to put some of those mental panoramics into words. This is inspiration from something we did at the beginning of the year for Journ. I’m sure I will be adding to it and randomly remembering other things that should be here.


I remember being brought up as a South African.
I remember the first time I put on a school uniform, just to go to school with my mom for the day.
I remember taking baths, and sitting in them for ages after the water had run out.
I remember episodes of Barney and Banana’s in Pyjamas
I remember learning how to tell the time with my mom
I remember playing kissing catches. And soccer.
I remember the Bee, Dragonfly and Butterfly classes at Klerksdorp Hebrew Nursery School.
I remember getting a baby brother.
I remember being at a 20/20 Cricket Match with my parents and colouring in.
I remember my first day at school, with my maroon pinafore, my brown-box suitcase and my denim pencil bag.
I remember learning to read.
I remember Christmases and the day I decided they were by far the best day of the year.
I remember making up dances and songs in my room and performing them for the family.
I remember Holy Rosary School; choir competitions, jungle jims and the tuck-shop.
I remember giving my brother a tea party when he was upset.
I remember my Barbie house and spending ages in the toy room making up their life stories.
I remember Greg’s spider man outfits, batman outfits and power ranger outfits to the tee.
I remember Grandad building the treehouse.
I remember sleep over’s with Megan every Christmas Eve.
I remember my Dad’s tickle attacks.
I remember Greg singing Jeremiah was a Bullfrog for his school concert.
I remember holidays at the Cavern, Drakensburg Sun and Manaba.
I remember times spent with Megan: dolls, make-over’s and drawing up hordes of TV Guides, cheque books and lists of children.
I remember Aromat on toast.
I remember Brownies and Girl Guides.
I remember caravan holidays with Gran and Grandad.
I remember digging in the sand to find the ball and flooding the stoop from bathing our babies.
I remember my Mom, for she makes up most of the better part of my two decades.
I remember my first “BFFs”: Alyssa. And Meagan, Seona, Kailynn, Laura, Gaby and Kristin and Tubz.
I remember the day Laura and Mom fetched me from Kailynn‘s house and told me Dad was in hospital.
I remember my First Holy Communion – and going to visit Dad at Milner Park in my dress.
I remember when he came home. And I remember Mom’s valour.
I remember the first time I flew by myself from Rowing camp to Durban – a prelude to all the flying I would do in the future.
I remember my first time overseas to England – with Megan, Gran and Grandad.
I remember having a Princess Diana dress up doll, and I remember her death on the news.
I remember putting salt instead of sugar into the crumpet mix for Grade 5 crumpet day.
I remember getting two gorgeous baby cousins, and loving them eternally after that.
I remember being in the shows My Fair Lady, A Midsummer night’s Dream and A Lad ‘n a lamp during school.
I remember my trip to Robben Island, and learning about the man who played a massive part in saving South Africa.
I remember failing my first test and getting my first A
I remember my holiday to Ireland and England with my family; falling in love with the country but learning to appreciate South Africa.
I remember seeing the Twin Towers fall on the TV.
I remember getting ready for the disco with Kristin...
I remember being on the First Aid Committee in my last year of Primary School.
I remember entering high school, my Matric year, my gap year and my first year at Rhodes.
I remember getting kicked out of class in Grade 8 with the nun in the corner.
I remember the 4-O, really well; laughing, dog piles and Mrs Lourenco’s office.
I remember Hockey tours; the dodgy camping guy who stalked Simone, Amy kicking me out of my bed and taking photos on Katie’s phone.
I remember Katie.
I remember my innate love for Eminem.
I remember Rowing for HRS, egg and bacon rolls on a Saturday, being involved in the titanic like sinking, winning in our A-crew and getting a silver at SA Champs in the pair.
I remember Buffalo regattas and J.A.R
I remember dancing with my Dad at the Debs Ball.
I remember being introduced to the royalty of Friends – and quoting it in at least one conversation a day from then on.
I remember discovering my love of writing, and the day I decided that’s what I want to do.
I remember filming over our English project with Tubz and Katz dancing.
I remember Musa, and how I learnt not to care what society thought.
I remember how my mom and I spoke, how I could and can always talk to her about anything.
I remember experiencing World Youth Day in Australia.
I remember Irene Flee Market trips
I remember bird watching with Mom
I remember movies with my friends and “fishin’ for love just like a good girl should”
 I remember laughing for ages with Greg and Ryan.
I remember Dad running the Comrades again, and going on to do the London, NY and Berlin marathons.
I remember leadership camp.
I remember Grandad’s singing, and Gran rolling her eyes – but secretly loving it.
I remember Mom introducing me to St. Elmo ’s fire, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink.
I remember walks home from school with Katie; and stopping off at each others houses for egg on toast.
I remember discovering the greatness of The Beatles.
I remember Lady and Mojo.
I remember Fall Out Boy, 46664, My Coke Fest, Nickelback and Pink Concerts.
I remember after school Art and Mrs Mac.
I remember Maths Lit classes and Wimpy breaks.
I remember the day Greg became more than a brother to me; he became a best friend
I remember KFC runs with Katz, and auditioning for Idols.
I remember Sun City; trying to get into an 18+ club – and not.
I remember the first time I got drunk.
I remember falling in love for the first time and how special it was.
I remember my Debs Ball, and my Matric Dance and Valedictory. And the cuts on my arm after wearing that dress.
I remember my 18th birthday, singing karaoke till the early hours of the morning with a Champaign glass in my hand.
I remember Vaal holidays; the stuffed lion and the utensil puppet show.
I remember the airport and leaving home.
I remember meeting Rose when she was jetlagged, and driving up to the glory of Canford School.
I remember our little flat; our Harry Potter marathons and our gossip.
I remember the Common Room, babysitting the Burlie kids and coaching the girls.
I remember London, with all my heart.
I remember the day I started to build up my dreams.
I remember spontaneous Barcelona trip with Rose, and walking almost every inch of that city until our feet gave in.
I remember working in the White Hart, and the locals Mic, Jim and Richard.
I remember travelling the UK, spending hours on a train at a time.
I remember the raucousness of the Henley Regatta, Topdeck and the Pub Parties.
I remember the warmth in my heart when I saw my Mom, Grandparents and Greg for the first time in 8 months.
I remember philosophical talks with Niall at the White Hart
I remember discovering Eddie Izzard.
I remember my hockey team, and how bleak they got at the thought of exercise.
I remember catching the last bus to get back to Wimbledon after a night out in central London.
I remember being helplessly broke on sam's couch.
I remember buying a dress for the Summer Ball.
I remember Camden Markets, Nottinghill Carnival and seeing a play at Shakespeare’s Globe.
I remember The Church.
I remember when it snowed.
I remember nights out in Bournemouth.
I remember Roz.
I remember my trip around Europe, and being in awe for all of it.
I remember browsing the Tate Modern, the Picasso museum and Louvre.
I remember Sam, Beans and Tess.
I remember being lost in Wimbledon with Jordan.
I remember the friends I made, and the smiles they brought.
I remember seeing the Lion King at West End.
I remember saying good bye, and getting on a plane to come home.
I remember listening to Johnny Clegg as I saw the South African sunrise out the plane window.
I remember feeling the African sun again.
I remember that Christmas, and it being particularly special for me.
I remember seeing my friends again, and partying with them, Joburg style.
I remember the night I almost killed Katz, and how she still drove with me after that.
I remember arriving at Rhodes, O-Week, serenades, the Friars experience and when the word chilled became a part of my vocabulary.
I remember Greg and I telling each other we had made friends.
I remember the O-Week field party. But not really.
I remember discovering Mama Pans, and late night walks up the hill.
I remember George and mine’s first DMC at the Wimpy.
I remember Ben screaming PENIS in the dining hall.
I remember Dress to get Laid, bad-taste party, St Paddy’s Day, Trivar, Boatraces and Nicky’s 21st.
I remember meeting Matty, and falling in love with him.
I remember learning things, academic things.
I remember the Rhodes Drama Department – and the many hours spent there (and the rewarding feeling after bowing at the end of a performance)
I remember George flinging me across the room with a single kick.
I remmeber Nicky and Nuni.
I remember my first interview for Activate, and my interview that got me Arts & Entertainment editor.
I remember the night Greg was brave enough to come out to his friends.
I remember laughs with George. Endless. endless laughs. And her getting into bed with me when the electricity went out.
I remember pre-drinks with the Walker girls.
I remember having naps with Greg.
I remember Nicky doing my make-up and tweezing my eyebrows.
I remember the Soccer World Cup in South Africa; the flags from the Airport to home, and seeing Bafana beat France.
I remember riding the Gautrain.
I remember my hippie photo shoot with Sim.
I remember precious time with my family.
I remember Bovril toast with Mikey
I remember gwam jam talks with Chayse
 I remember the trip to Durban with George and her family, and painting our faces with the Ghanaian flag.
I remember the night Matty and I kissed for the first time.
I remember the Cougar Monday of Doom.
I remember singing Don’t Stop Believing in Pirates, and taking my mom to Cougar Monday.
I remember The Dirty Skirts, Wrestlerish, Zebra & Giraffe and Farryl Purkiss coming to Grahamstown.
I remember dustbin photos.
I remember sneaking out of lectures, unsuccessfully
I remember late night essays and considering getting an LOA for the last Journ one.
I remember singing somebody to love and filming it, Savvas’ piano playing and cat, and skype sessions with Greg.
I remember nights spent in CB; time with Matty, and smiling – a lot.
I remember Cape Town with my friends; the old lady/dog, the trip to Fish Hoek on the train and Georgia’s raucous night.
I remember surprising my friends and family at home for the weekend.
I remember how chats over good food with Katz never get old.
I remember tea in bed nights with Gran watching BBC.
I remember taking a lot of photos in my life.
I remember drawing up my bucket list, and vowing to never forget about it.

I remember my 20th birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment