Saturday 8 May 2010

I never stop dreaming

I wrote a list of things I had to do in life when I was 15. Silly things, and more serious things. I have done a lot of them, but I have added to the list. I believe you have to live with a drive to want to do something in this life. Whether it is to want to sit back and relax, or climb a mountain, or anything. You have to love something. I have recently read Jane Eyre and The Great Gatsby. Now as scholastic as this might sound, both of them had effects on me other than what the essay topics forced me to think about. As much as the typical student complains about the work they have to do, the awesome thing is that all the English students love the classics really. The beauty of classics is hidden way beneath the surface that most people live on. That's whats great about what I am learning here. Looking beneath the surface. And actually cracking and digging your way through it to be taught, or to be curious or to get to know someone. I mean Jane Eyre. That chick has this crazy, restless, beautiful imagination. Tedious as some might find it, she describes her surroundings with full and ripened words that I really can't help getting caught up in. Ah and Fitzgerald - he writes in this way that you can actually feel what he says. He speaks of wings beating in the trees and the sound of an organ as the full bellows of the earth blew the frogs full of life. If that isn't amazing writing then I really don't know what is.

I'm quite weird. I enjoy things like that. When I read something, I try my best to take it allll in, and not just skim over it so that it fades into tthe back of my memory not to be thought of again. And it isn't oly English that has this effect. I have come accustomed to the theatre here at Rhodes like it is where I have meant to be spending time all my life. And being involved in additional pieces other than the work we have in lecture time is just a really fun experience. I try find excuses to be at the theatre. I never want to stop being involved. I remember something really clearly in my mind. Last year in Egnland, to get into town from Canford, you had to walk along the river, and there was this awesome shortcut I found halfway throguh the year. If I walked up a few stares and up onto the bridge over the river - you could make your way through the trees. You could barely see 5m in front of you, but I somehow always ended up where I needed to be. Well, they didn't really look like this picture - but the scope of it was simlilar. I used to do that just for fun, and just sit there and take it all in. I'm quite weird like that.

Journalism is shaping up too. The most interesting thing we've done is look at how the mediated world has an effect on how we shape ourselves. It is really true - I shape myself from the people around me, form what I ahve done, and form what I want to do. I get inspiration from doing this, from writing, and from music adn books. I got to read a few other people's blurbs on who they thought they were in the world. See, this is what I am interested in. One day, I want to travel, and meet the ordinary person on the street, and find out what it is that makes them extraordianry. 
And I want to write about them. And express myself. And see the world. And paint. And act and dance and love.

 My mom always says that I should have been born in the 50s, so I could have grown up in the 60s. :) with a van and a life like Kimya Dawson sings about in My Rollarcoaster. I would have realy loved that. I met loads of people in my town I lived in last year that were like that. I loved them. Rod even had a van with a sunflower on it and the dogs that have bouncing heads on his dashboard.
But I feel I still fit in well in this advanced and fast moving world. The thing that makes it special though is that there are places and times and people that can teach you how to slow down. There's no rush in this life. It is never too late to do something you want to do. I spoke to someone last night that says there is no such word as 'tomorrow' in his vocab, there is only the now. Seriously though, in the words of Tom Petty - life is a highway adn I want to ride it. And every day is a winding road - taking the good with the bad and appreciating everything around you. But you have to be dreaming all the time. And have dreams, and then try put them into a reality that will happen when it happens. Or you make it happen. But either way - there has to be something you live for.

 I think I might put that list up soon.
 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Robz
    You echo a lot of my thoughts! It's rad to read about someone else who appreciates the literature and the courses we're doing here...
    Curious to read that list - I do a similar thing with new year's resolutions...it's also great to keep them and look back, and see all the things you already have done, like visit a certain country or whatever.. :)

    marty

    ReplyDelete